Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste Collection event taking place September 23
Tim Brody - Editor
The Municipality of Sioux Lookout is holding its annual hazardous or special waste collection event on Sept. 23, providing Sioux Lookout residents with an opportunity to safely dispose of hazardous household waste free of charge.
The collection event is taking place from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at the Public Works Garage located at 41 Fifth Avenue.
According to The Municipality of Sioux Lookout, the following residential household hazardous waste items can be dropped off free of charge for proper disposal:
- Adhesives such as glue or silicone
- Aerosol cans such as spray paint or disinfectants
- Antifreeze and containers in which they are contained
- Corrosive, reactive or poisonous chemicals such as household cleaners and polishes
- Empty oil containers (empty oil containers can be dropped off at the Hidden Lake Landfill Site year round)
- Flammables such as old gas and fuel
- Florescent light bulbs and tubes
- Lawn fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and containers in which they are contained
- Mercury thermometers or thermostats containing mercury
- Oil filters (oil filters can be dropped off at the Hidden Lake Landfill Site year round)
- Paints, stains, coatings and containers in which they are contained
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Pressurized containers such as propane tanks and cylinders, butane
- Single use batteries
- Solvents such as paint thinners, degreasers, strippers and containers in which they are contained
The Municipality noted that waste oil will not be accepted during the collection event as waste oil generated from local residents is accepted “free of charge” at the Hidden Lake Landfill site.
The Municipality of Sioux Lookout also noted that waste generated from commercial or industrial sources will not be accepted.
The Municipality asks that residents exercise caution when transporting waste to the collection event.
Single use batteries are accepted at the Public Works Garage Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Municipality of Sioux Lookout informed that, “Overall, the event has been well-attended in the past. Residents appreciate the opportunity to divest themselves of household hazardous waste items.”
“This is an opportunity for residents to safely dispose of their household hazardous waste in an environmentally friendly way,” the Municipality shared, adding, “We encourage the public to take advantage of this event, and hope to see a good turnout on the 23rd.”