Drug trafficking, firearms charges laid in Sioux Lookout
Tim Brody - Editor
Two Winnipeg, Manitoba residents are facing drug trafficking and firearms charges after Sioux Lookout OPP were dispatched to a report of an assault at an apartment on Third Avenue North on April 17.
Police attended and located two individuals who they say were in possession of illegal substances, large amounts of Canadian currency, and firearms.
Following an investi-gation, police seized suspected narcotics including cocaine and methamphetamine with an estimated street value exceeding $19,000, and approximately $3,000 in Canadian currency, as well as a loaded handgun and modified rifle. Two individuals, residents of Winnipeg, Manitoba, were arrested and charged by officers from the Sioux Lookout Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) detachment and Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU).
As a result of this investigation, a 22-year-old Winnipeg, Manitoba resident was arrested and charged with:
- 2 x Possession of a Schedule I Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking, contrary to Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) Section 5(2),
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime, contrary to Criminal Code (CC) Section 354(1)(a),
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm, contrary to CC Section 91(1) and,
- Being Unlawfully in a Dwelling House, contrary to CC Section 349(1).
A 19-year-old Winnipeg, Manitoba resident was also arrested as a result of the investigation and charged with:
- 2 x Possession of a Schedule I Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking, contrary to CDSA Section 5(2),
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime, contrary to CC Section 354(1)(a),
- 2 x Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm, contrary to CC Section 91(1),
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing Serial Number Has Been Tampered With, contrary to CC Section 108(1)(b),
- 3x Possession of a Firearm Contrary to Prohibition Order, contrary to CC Section 117.01(1), and
- Assault with a weapon, contrary to CC Section 267(a).
Police are asking anyone with information about the sale of illegal drugs and substances within the Municipality of Sioux Lookout to contact the OPP at 1-807-737-2020. Should people wish to remain anonymous, they may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), or report online through www.ontariocrimestoppers.ca, where they may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.