Safe needle disposal tips from the NWHU
Tim Brody - Editor
As temperatures rise and the snow melts this spring, the Northwestern Health Unit is reminding people to follow safe disposal practices if they come across any discarded needles.
Safe steps for needle pick-up are:
• If possible, use gloves and tongs to pick-up the needle.
• Never put the cap back on a needle.
• Place the needle in a hard-sided plastic container, point-end first, tightly seal and label “Needle”.
• Wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer after picking up a needle.
• Never put needles down the toilet, in drains or in the garbage.
The health unit is asking parents to remind children never to touch a needle and tell an adult right away if they should find one.
People can call their local health unit (737-2292 in Sioux Lookout) for needle disposal kits and for needle disposal.