Letter to the Editor:
Tragedy strikes again
Once again young innocent children have been killed in a house fire on a reserve. (First Nations leaders call for increased supports for fire services Jan 26/22)
Every time there is a fire on a reserve the leaders blame the government. This is too urgent to wait for the government to do something! The bands must solve this problem themselves.
Smoke Detectors - The number one life saver is a FUNCTIONING smoke detector! Do NOT “borrow” the battery. These detectors cost about $30 and can be installed in 10 minutes! Every time you burn the toast this should beep!
Carbon Monoxide detectors - are also cheap and easy to install.
Safety inspection - is your firewood or other flammable materials stored too close to the stove? Is the chimney installed properly and are you cleaning it regularly? Are flammable materials being put on the cook stove “because it’s off?” Don’t put flammable materials on the stove - ever.
Open flame - candles can be knocked over. Do not leave them unattended.
Smoking in bed.
The government has provided fire trucks, but too many times they have not been properly looked after. They have to be properly maintained.
Volunteer firefighters - many towns like Sioux Lookout have volunteer fighters who spend hours training to do their job. This effort is greatly appreciated and vital for an effective fire department. The bands need to do the same.
You can’t afford to wait for the government. It’s up to you.