From The Archives: Wednesday, May 21, 2003
Cigarette butt cause of fire that closed down Highway 72
A cigarette butt flicked from a car travelling on highway 72 was the cause of a fire that closed down the road and had firefighters battling the blaze in the evening of May 13.
Two bear cubs orphaned on Mother’s Day
It’s a scenario that man y are familiar with in the North, and one that left two bear cubs motherless on Mother’s Day.
OPP bid farewell to Detachment Commander Doug Squires
“It’s like leaving a family I’ve had for over 30 years,” said Staff Sergeant Doug Squires who will be retiring from the OPP on May 31. Spending last week tying up loose ends at the office, Squires acknowledged that his final days with the Sioux Lookout detachment have been a bit of “an emotional roller coaster.”
Residents of Sioux Lookout observed the first total eclipse of the moon in the 21st century last Thursday night. This event happens when the earth blocks the sun’s rays from reaching the moon. Shown here is the beginning of the eclipse as seen over Pelican Lake.