COVID-19 outbreak declared over at SLMHC
Tim Brody - Editor
A COVID-19 outbreak that had been declared at Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre (SLMHC) is officially over.
The health centre shared on Feb. 16 that the outbreak was declared over after 10 days of no new positive cases directly related to the outbreak.
“By utilizing our dedicated COVID-19 isolation unit and expanding infection control measures within the hospital, our outbreak management team acted quickly to see this outbreak contained in a short period of time,” said Heather Lee, President and CEO of SLMHC, in a Feb. 16 media release.
The hospital shared that in addition to continuing daily screening and adherence to personal protective equipment standards, SLMHC has its mandatory vaccination policy in place for staff, physicians and visitors. The health centre shared that the vaccination policy for visitors/essential care partners does not apply to patients seeking care. “No patients will be turned away if they are not fully vaccinated,” SLMHC stated.
“We want to take this time to remind the public to continue practicing public health guidelines- get vaccinated, wear a mask and be safe,” Lee said.
The health centre shared that visitor restrictions have been partially lifted at this time.
People can find out more about visitor restrictions and how services are impacted at the hospital at slmhc.on.ca/covid19.