Ontario Provincial Police
Sioux Lookout OPP report increase in property crime
Sioux Lookout Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers have received 18 reports of stolen property in the past 45 days, which is up 200% from the six reported in the same timeframe in 2018.
Recent reported thefts have included bicycles, dirt bikes, boats, tools, and other valuables left in vehicles and/or outbuildings. Many of these instances have involved the theft of unsecured belongings.
The Sioux Lookout OPP want to remind the public to ensure that their property is locked up before leaving it unattended. Crimes such as theft can be prevented by using some simple tips:
• If you have a garage, use it and lock the door.
• Lock up your bicycle to an immovable object using an adequate locking device.
• Park your vehicle and/or bicycle in a well-lit area.
• Remove all belongings from your vehicle.
• Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view.
• Roll up your vehicle's windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
• Keep ladders and/or tools that can aid in entry locked up.
Lock It OR Lose It patrols have been conducted throughout Sioux Lookout, and will be continued throughout the summer. Officers also encourage home owners to conduct a home security assessment to identify areas where their property may be left vulnerable.
For further information on the Lock It OR Lose It Program, or for other crime prevention tips, please visit our website at www.opp.ca.