Letter to the Editor
(Second Annual) Twenty Important Questions to Consider About Sioux Lookout
From time-to-time, I have a thought or two. Most of them are questions I have, and they never get answered (except when I wrote my annual 20 Questions letter to the editor last year, the Mayor of Sioux Lookout e-mailed me directly; he tried to answer almost all of them, but could not confirm if there are dinosaur fossils at Cedar Bay). Maybe you can help me address some of my new questions:
- Is there a special technique snowplow drivers use to make the wall at the end of driveways so high?
- Can individuals get a discount when they walk to the store in minus 49 temperatures, you know, like a reward?
- Why can’t we recycle glass?
- When it comes back, will the town clock have different time zones like last time?
- To compliment the Bulletin’s Christmas and Halloween pictures of the best houses in the community, do you think there could be a contest for the best snowman, the best shovelled driveway, and best cut grass?
- Last year, I asked why the Wellington cross-walk spoke in French. Now, with the new giant signs, again: why are these signs in French and not in syllabics? (The airport has English and syllabics.)
- If someone has an Airbnb in Sioux Lookout, can they be a part of the “Hotel District?”
- Also, will there be other names given to different areas of our town, such as the “Public School District”, the “Catholic District”, the “Lake District”, the “Tim Horton’s District”, the “Mobile Home District” and perhaps “20km Outside of Town District”?
- Why does By-Law chase down taxpayers at their house for a $10 pet fee when they already pay thousands in taxes annually?
- Is it cheaper to buy the Glad bags or pay five-cents/bag at Giant Tiger for garbage cans under the sink?
- Why do people grumble about waiting two hours in the SLMHC emergency when the average wait in southern Ontario is at least five?
- When will I win the bring-your-own-bag grocery draw?
- Why is a toothbrush cheaper on the Rez than in town?
- Last month, Sioux Hydro had a sign out that declared, “Men at Work.” Do they have a gender-neutral equivalent?
- Positive or negative? We have 238 job openings in our town.
- Why is there only one Sol Mamakwa for Kiiwetinoong? (His voice and presence for our region requires more than one!)
- Can we receive text alerts on garbage and recycling days so we don’t forget?
- Why doesn’t Sioux Lookout compete against the Forks and build our own 10 long, icy kilometre stretch on the Lake?
- Why are there only three “Things to Do” in Sioux Lookout on TripAdvisor.ca? Did you know the top rated event, scoring a 4.5/5 with 12 reviews, is Ojibway Provincial Park?
- Do you think any of the above questions could make Sioux Bulletin’s Question of the Week feature?